GEMS World Academy Singapore is the new kid on the block in terms of international schools in Singapore. Founded in 2014, the school is brand spanking new and has the amazing facilities to boot. Parents who send their kids to GEMS World Academy Singapore (or GWAS for those of you who simply can’t survive without an acronym), will benefit from small class sizes, state-of-the-art facilities, no wait lists and the benefit of access to the rest of the GEMS network of international schools (which spans 60 schools across 15 countries).
Key Information About GEMS World Academy Singapore
Number of campuses: 1
Curriculum: International Baccalaureate (IB). International General Certificate of Secondary Education (iGCSE) available for Grades 9 and 10.
Student-teacher ratio: Pre-K: 2:18; K1 & K2: 2:20; Grade 1 to 5: 2:24; Grade 6 to 8: 1:24.
Average class size: 20 students
Number of students: Currently around 200 students. Enrolment is expected to grow to 650 by the 2015/2016 academic year.
Average school fees 2014-2015: $21,812 per year
Average school fees 2015-2016: $21,812 per year
Religious focus: None
Languages taught: Mandarin and Spanish. French classes will be available 2015/2016 academic year. After-school mother tongue classes are available in French, Mandarin and Japanese.
Special areas of focus: Sports and music.
School hours: 3 years old: 09:00 – 13:30; 7 years old: 09:00 – 15:30; 11 years old: 09:00 – 15:30; 15 years old: 09:00 – 15:30
GEMS World Academy describe themselves as:
“We bring together a desirable education environment, significant investments in leading curriculum and child research, world-class facilities and a community of the most accomplished teachers – driven by an inspiring set of core values that place the student at the centre of everything we do. The GEMS difference is designed to set your child apart. Here’s how we do things differently at GEMS World Academy (Singapore):
- EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATORS: With an average of 15 years international teaching experience, our teachers make all the difference.
- WORLD-CLASS FACILITIES: Innovative classrooms and state-of-the-art sports and performing arts facilities create excellent learning opportunities.
- OUTSTANDING RESULTS: GEMS students consistently out-perform their peers across Academics, Arts and Sports, and are regularly admitted to top universities world-wide.
- GLOBALLY NETWORKED: With 55 years experience, teaching 140,000 students across 14 countries, GEMS alumni span the globe.
- PARENT PARTNERSHIP: Our parent engagement programme ensures that home and school work hand-in-hand to support individual student success.”
What makes GEMS World Academy stand out?
GWAS is part of GEMS Education, the largest K-12 private education provider in the world, with a network of 60 schools across 15 countries. This means kids that attend will benefit from an establish network of resources and expertise.
- GEMS World Academy Singapore has an exceptional extra-curricular program on offer that incorporates both competitive teams and clubs and enrichment programs. From golf, horse back riding and dance, through to soccer, rugby and basketball, there’s something on offer to suit children of all interests and abilities.
As one of the newer international schools in Singapore, GWAS offers state-of-the-art facilities and amenities. The current facilities include a 750-seat auditorium, dedicated music practice rooms, Olympic and learner swimming pools, sports field and indoor gymnasium with rock-climbing wall. The school is also in the process of building a planetarium which is planned to open in 2017.
- Languages are a key feature of education at GEMS. In the Early Years, all students undertake daily Mandarin learning, delivered by a specialist Mandarin teacher, embedded into daily classroom learning. From Grade 1 onwards, students have the option of continuing in Mandarin, or undertaking daily classes in Spanish (or French from 2015/16 academic year).
Learn more: GEMS World Academy Singapore
Not what you’re looking for? Check out our guide to the Best International Schools in Singapore.